Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soul Mates

 
Our 6 year anniversary is coming up in November!! I am so excited :) Maybe it has to do with an upcoming vacation? ;) Whereas last year, I just felt old, this 6 year benchmark is so exciting! Six years is a good long time! But, while I absolutely love and adore that cute husband of mine, I know I'm not his perfect match and he isn't mine (I'd get massages everyday if that were the case -- without complaint). There's no such thing as "the one and only." You pick the one you love and you love the one you're with.

Let me paint the picture for you:
  • I had no idea how to cook before I was married. Zero clue. I just ate out...all of the time! I remember wanting roommate supervision when I first cooked spaghetti. I burned oatmeal, had never really shopped at a grocery store for anything but snacks (ha!), set a microwave on fire, and I married a man who hates -abhors- eating out. He loves home-cooked meals and I love the atmosphere of restaurants - it's just so much more appealing! 
  • I am always late. Always. Without fail. No matter how hard I try, I just have no concept of time. I love being spontaneous, having little structure so that I can be free to do what I want when I want, and like a relaxed pace. And yes, Rand is the exact opposite! Completely orderly, scheduled, clean (I would leave water bottles everywhere), and punctual. We make the perfect odd couple :)
  • This is embarrassing, but before we were married I was $500 overdrawn. That's right $500. Crazy! I never kept track of checks and had no idea when my account would actually be debited when using my debit card. When I tried to shut down my account, I left just a few cents in there, not realizing that so many items, plus bounce fees, would leave me with a $500 bill. Rand, however, never spent his money, beyond rent, food, and dates with me! It is his incredible gift to be able to wisely discern between needs and wants. I'm still learning that one ;)
  • When I met Rand, I wasn't even thinking of marriage. I didn't want to get married! I especially did not want kids. I had every intention of pursuing my ambitious goals in the workforce (I just didn't take into consideration the whole aspect of 'being on time'). Rand was fresh off his mission, had no intention of marrying, thought I was a little flaky (I give great first impressions because I ignore people), and joked about becoming a Catholic priest.

What I find so absolutely funny or ironic about it all is that we got married (good thing), had children, I became a stay-at-home mom, and that these differences between Rand and I are such a blessing in our family. In the last year or so, I've become a great cook (self-evaluation only, but Elise has started to compliment me besides Rand). I have only had one other experience with making dinner and fire - it was Rand's fault and the fireball was a result of a dropped turkey. I've even learned to love that feeling of order and peace when my home is clean. That's saying a lot ;) I never wanted kids, but as soon as I got married, wow! how that desire to be a mom flooded my heart. I can't imagine our lives without Elise & Michael. Rand and I have been really blessed.


Not one of us is perfect, but we sincerely love each other. He complements me (and compliments, too - double bonus). We learn from each others' strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't change it for a thing! I think that's why marriage is so crucial. It can sincerely make us whole. And though Rand and I have had our 'moments' (we're both extremely stubborn), we're far from perfect, our marriage is a happy one. Imperfect people who honestly love each other, and try, can have happy endings! I'm not worried about statistics everyone throws out - I trust that we're both working towards the goal of a happy, eternal marriage.


I was so terrified to get married, but I can't imagine life without my best friend! For all our differences, we can talk for hours about absolutely anything! I love that Rand does the dishes, helps around the house, and treats me as an equal (because I am!). I love that he is such a good father - the best little kid wrestler there is, that he can give blessings to the kids when they are sick, that he leads our home in prayer and scripture study every day, and that he works hard so that I have the privilege of being the one to shape our children's minds and lives full-time! I love that he is everything I'd love to be (character-wise -- I don't want to be a man). I love that every time I cry or am overly-emotional, which is hardly ever the case ;), he makes me laugh. Hard. I'm grateful to be married for time and all eternity to my favorite person. These past six years have been so good!

4 comments:

  1. I don't add random l's everywhere. It's just this font's way of expressing the exclamation point :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you seriously made me giggle at the "I don't want to be a man" comment. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 6 years--that awesome! It was really fun to read your post--you have such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so gorgeous! You sound like me, and Rand like John! I always leave water bottles around that house and he's always picking them up and throwing them away hahahaha! Yea for 6 years and two beautiful children, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete