Friday, December 2, 2011

Precious Jewels

 *These are precious to me and symbolize so much. And it's not just because of their price tag!*

It's past November, but I am still feeling that Thanksgiving mood. I guess I'm not ready for Christmas to come yet. These holidays seem to race by!


I love my family. I love the silly things Michael says and how absolutely adorable Elise is. They are so very  precious to me.


I love my husband. He's a really great guy. He is unbelievably patient and the best listener I've met. I love talking to him about ideas. I've never met anyone that I could talk to so easily. Best of all, he and I are both goofy. I love doing silly things with him and just laughing. I love that in our family, we laugh a lot.

*He'd be so embarrassed if he saw this post! Ha ha :)*

I remember during my freshman year of college just longing for my family to be near. It was the first time I was away from home for longer than a week and I just wanted to feel that security of knowing my Dad could help me if my car broke down, or that my Mom would impart some wise advice that I needed to hear. I missed them so much.

I didn't expect my prayers to be answered in the way that they were (I was hoping it would be a university closer to my parents) ;), but I'm so thankful I met my husband at such an early age. I needed that solidarity. I love his family - they add so much to my own extended family. And even though I'm still far from my great parents, I know I have family to be there when my little boy takes an unexpected trip to the hospital.


I am so thankful for the blessings family brings. I can't state it enough.

The story goes that Cornelia, back in ancient Rome, was taunted by other Roman women who were flaunting their precious jewels at her. They mockingly asked where her jewels were. She answered she had the most precious jewels: her sons, Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus. The Gracchi brothers ended up being extremely influential and gave their lives for the Roman state. Cornelia had her priorities right. Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying, "Everything I am, I owe to my angel mother." His birth mother died when he was very little and Lincoln was mostly raised by his very tiny step-mother who encouraged and strengthened him.

I guess what this all boils down to is that I am thankful for every family member, blood-related or otherwise. Each is so important in my life and so dearly loved. I can't imagine life without my incredible family. They have really shaped my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment